For over two years our team has followed the development of the Flow ecosystem very closely. A couple of weeks ago we made the decision to go all-in. This is a summary of the lessons we’ve learned along the way.
My team is working on a product called Signavio Workflow Accelerator. The whole application is written with React and mostly uses Redux for state handling (we also have some Backbone models left over).
In the beginning we added a lot of PropType checks to our UI components. However, it was clear quite fast that this wouldn’t scale as the type checks during runtime were slowing down the application way too much. Luckily for us this realization came at around the same time when Flow was initially introduced.
There was only one catch. The actual type check didn’t work for our large code base for various reasons. We decided to give Flow a go nonetheless hoping that the ecosystem would evolve eventually.
TL;DR we started adding types all over the place without ever checking them.
Pulling the trigger
A couple of weeks ago I was once again looking at an error that could have been prevented by having proper type checks.
It was that moment, when I realized that we should finally start enforcing the code to type check on each pull request.
But since we never did this before, but had added the
// @flow pragma to over 800 files, we were left with a couple of thousand violations.
Since we’ve learned that having optional and failing checks on each pull request won’t get us anywhere we had to come up with a different strategy.
This strategy should meet the following conditions:
- The pull request check has to be mandatory
- The burden for individual developers must be low
- The types that have already been defined should not be lost
How we pulled it off
The most drastic decision was the first one.
In for the type check and therefore the pull request check to succeed we removed the
// @flow pragma from all files.
We realized that we cannot fix all errors in all files in one pull request.
And since we didn’t enforce type checking before we would also not loose any confidence in our code by turning it off initially.
After that we had a new mandatory pull request check that would now be applied to all new pull requests.
At this point we added a new rule to our development Process ‘In every file you touch, add the
// @flow pragma again’.
With this kind of ‘fix what you touch’ rule we already fixed over 16.000 lint errors over the course of two years so we knew that it worked (even though its a long term road to success).
After a day we realized that something was not quite right.
Flow isn’t so good a reporting uncertainty
Everything seemed fine until we realized that Flow wasn’t reporting obvious errors.
It turns out that if you import a type from a file that doesn’t have the
// @flow pragama Flow simply ignores it completely.
A warning would have been nice.
The fix for this is rather easy.
We shouldn’t have removed all the
// @flow pragmas.
Here are the two types of files that should have that pragma form the beginning.
- All the files containing type definitions (duh!)
The second point is obvious once you encounter the problem.
When Flow encounters any file without
// @flow at the top it just stops because form there on it cannot make any proper assumptions anymore.
So having all
index.js files marked as ‘please proceed flow’ is a rather smart thing to do.
The pull request that activated all
index.js already was not so much fun.
We had to fix all false positives from earlier pull requests.
Luckily for us we resolved that issue in the first week.
Enabled packages for Flow
index.js fiasco had made us look out for false negatives.
So shortly after that we realized that there is another category where Flow seemed to be not working correctly.
Our application is managed inside a mono-repo.
This means that we’re actually managing a couple of different
npm packages that make up the whole of the application.
We defined types also within the different packages and then imported them in other packages as we would import components.
And once again Flow wouldn’t complain but also wouldn’t quite work correctly.
The problem this time was that (of course) the type annotations would be stripped out by our
babel transform so that the code could actually work in production.
However, when looking for types in
npm packages Flow also uses the entry point you define in your
In other words: Flow was looking for types in files where no types were defined anymore.
Good news though!
Other people have already solved this problem for us.
There is a tool called
flow-copy-source which simply copies all your source files and adds a
.flow type ending.
Flow in turn can pick these files up instead of the transpiled versions.
Voilà, typing now works across packages.
The whole team is still a big fan of Flow and after we have cleared away the initial obstacles the errors we get from Flow are pretty sweet. It would have been great though, if Flow would be a bit more expressive when it comes to uncertainty. For instance if Flow would actually tell us, when it doesn’t know a type instead of just pretending that everything is ok we would have found some issues earlier.
If we would start over again, we would make sure the following conditions are met:
- Have the
// @flowpragma in all type definition files
This is also great, because this way you know that you don’t have any obvious errors in your types.
// @flowto all
flow-copy-sourceif you’re dealing with
This is probably true in any case. When you’re developing a library you want to enable your users to have type safety for the components you export. When you have mono-repo setup you want to make sure that all packages can access their shared type information.